Join the Spark Sleep Solutions Newsletter
How To Do A Home Sleep Apnea Test
Sleep apnea is an extremely common condition that affects millions of Americans, but a staggering amount of people who suffer from it go completely undiagnosed, which puts them at risk for developing serious health problems. In fact, about 93% of women and 82% of men have an undiagnosed sleep apnea disorder.
If you suffer from sleep apnea, you’re not getting the kind of restful sleep that you should be, but if you don’t know if you actually have sleep apnea, Spark Sleep Solutions can help you find out. With a home sleep apnea test, you can start on the path to better sleep and relief some sleep apnea in the comfort of your own home. Just schedule an appointment with us for a sleep evaluation, and we can provide you with a home sleep apnea testing device.
How a Home Sleep Apnea Test Works
Home sleep apnea tests are devices that are easy to set up, comfortable to wear, and are designed to measure your breathing and snoring while you’re asleep. This will provide you doctor with an accurate reading of your sleep apnea, and help them determine what the best path to relief is for you.
We offer both the Medibyte Home Sleep Test from Braebon Medical and the Apnea Risk Evaluation System (ARES) from Watermark Medical. Please see the videos below for some assistance with setup. We will personally go over this process thoroughly with you in our office. We have more videos available on our Facebook page found here: Spark Sleep on Facebook.
How To Use ARES Sleep Apnea Test – Step By Step
The ARES home sleep apnea test is a small device that you wear on your head throughout the night, which will monitor your breathing and record any irregularities that can be examined by your doctor. Below is a video guide on how to conduct a home sleep apnea test with the ARES device, as well as step by step instructions that you can follow along with.
- Fill out the short questionnaire that came with the ARES device
- Turn off all electronic devices in proximity, including TVs, cell phones, computers, fans, etc. Any sounds that these devices can make can disrupt the machine.
- Do your best to avoid any noise that can occur during the night, including a partner that may be snoring. The noise can interfere with the test.
- Thoroughly wash and dry your forehead.
- Remove plastic covers from electrode & forehead sensor on the machine.
- Place the ARES on your head and make sure the main device is centered on your forehead
- Place the cannula tips (the two small prongs protruding from the plastic tubing) into your nose.
- Tighten the tubing with the slip tube near the back of your head until the cannula cannot be pulled away from your nose. Ensure that the tubing is not too tight and you are still comfortable.
- Turn on the ARES and wait 10 seconds for it to start up. If you get a low battery warning, contact your doctor so you can get a different machine.
- Once the ARES has passed its startup sequence, you can go to sleep.
- If an the ARES alarm goes off during the night, it is due to poor signal quality. Adjust the ARES to fit properly and shake your head to the left and right (like saying “no”) until it turns off
- When you wake, if the the ARES has a green light, hold the on/off button to turn it off. If there is no light, the ARES has already turned off.
- Put the ARES and the questionnaire that you filled out back into the case, and return it to your doctor.
If you have any questions about the ARES test, or would like to try this home sleep apnea test for yourself, just contact us at Spark Sleep Solutions and we can help you.
How To Use A MediByte Sleep Apnea Test – Step By Step
The MediByte system is a small device that is worn around the chest to test for sleep apnea and snoring during the night. It is the perfect home sleep apnea test for those who are uncomfortable with having device on their head during the night. Below are several videos and step by step instructions, guiding you on how to set up your MediByte sleep apnea test, as well as other pieces of the device. The Medibyte system also comes with a helpful patient guide, which has detailed illustrations and instructions on how to set up the MediByte device for your sleep apnea test.
Before you start your Medibyte sleep apnea test, first take these precautions:
- Keep the Medibyte device away from flames and flammable compounds
- Do not submerge the MediByte device in liquid. The device will be damaged.
- Do not bathe, shower, or swim with the MediByte device.
- Do not plug any MediByte accessories into a wall outlet
Make sure that you set up both the effort belts and pressure cannula before going to sleep in order to properly conduct the test with the MediByte device.
Setting Up MediByte Effort Belts
- Take the belts and the MediByte device out of the case
- Clip one black belt onto the MetaByte device.
- Wrap and tighten the belt around your chest, with the device being centered in your chest, connecting the the end of the belt to the other side of the device.
- Plug a “Y” shaped black cable into the left and right socket on each belt.
- Plug the chest belt input into the keyhole input marked “chest” on the device.
- Take the second belt and secure it around your stomach/abdomen.
- Plug the wire on the belt around your stomach/abdomen into the keyhole input marked “abdomen” on the device.
Setting Up MediByte Pressure Cannula
- Position the nasal prongs into your nostrils
- Wrap the tubes over your ears and under your chin
- Adjust the slider to tighten the tubes to a comfortable position and secure with medical tape.
- Screw the filter on the end of the cannula into the input marked “pressure” on the device. Do not overtighten.
Get Your Home Sleep Apnea Test Today!
If you have any questions about using a home sleep apnea test, or would like to schedule an appointment with us to get your own home sleep apnea test, just contact us at Spark Sleep Solutions. We offer professional sleep apnea tests and treatment to the communities of San Jose, San Ramon, Santa Cruz, Los Gatos, and the surrounding areas. Get the quality sleep that you deserve today!