Snoring is most common in overweight men, but it’s a problem that can affect people of any gender or weight. And unfortunately, it can be difficult to self-diagnose snoring if you don’t have a partner who has told you.
Some signs of snoring include feeling tired and groggy during the day or having difficulty focusing, but the best way to tell if you snore is to record yourself while you sleep and play it back in the morning to listen for audible snoring. Phone apps like Snore Lab are another great option to automate the process.
Snoring can be a problem on its own, but it’s much more serious if it’s caused by OSA. Here are a few signs to watch for that may indicate you have obstructive sleep apnea:
- You gasp, choke, or stop breathing while asleep
- You suffer from daytime tiredness
- You wake up to use the restroom
- You have difficulty concentrating
- You suffer from morning headaches
- You often have a sore throat
- Your sleep is not restful as you toss and turn often
- You have high blood pressure
- Your snoring disrupts others
- Your lack of sleep is harming your personal relationships
If snoring or sleep apnea are a problem for you, the sleep apnea doctors at Spark Sleep Solutions can help. We coordinate with your primary care physician and your medical insurance to quickly, conveniently test for possible sleep apnea, and our five Bay Area locations in Santa Cruz, San Ramon, Los Gatos, Sunnyville, and San Jose make it easy to get checked for sleep apnea near you.