While usage of a CPAP machine has been the traditional treatment for sleep apnea, it isn’t always the best method for everyone. Studies suggest that around 35 percent of patients abandon this treatment at some point due to discomfort and inconvenience. Fortunately, oral sleep apnea devices may be excellent CPAP alternatives, allowing you to prevent airflow blockages and breathe easier.
Types of Oral Devices
Our innovative oral devices treat the condition directly at the source, removing the need for bulky machines. These FDA-approved, noninvasive compact appliances usually fall into one of two categories:
- Mandibular advancement devices, which gently shift the lower jaw forward to relax the back of the throat and prevent your tongue from obstructing the airway
- Tongue retaining devices, designed to hold the tongue in place and keep the airway unblocked
Several device models are available for convenient nighttime wear. After a review of your medical history and an examination, a sleep specialist can walk you through available options and help determine which one is best for your needs. The specialist will also take impressions of your mouth to custom-craft your device to perfectly fit.
Oral Devices Offer Many Advantages
Around 50 percent of sleep apnea patients cannot tolerate CPAP machines, with most citing difficulties such as physical discomfort, excessive noise, claustrophobia and difficulties with regular equipment maintenance. In contrast, oral devices offer many advantages:
- No need to replace parts, eliminating recurring costs
- Simple to clean and maintain
- Eliminates bulk and noise with traditional machines
- Ability to speak during wear
- Easy to pack and transport while traveling
- Allows wearers to sleep on their sides
Insurance companies typically cover the costs of these devices. Moreover, the wide range of designs opens up treatment options for individuals with dentures, dental implants and orthodontic work.
Learn About Your Sleep Apnea Treatment Options Today!
Spark Sleep Solutions provides groundbreaking treatments for sleep apnea, snoring and TMJ disorders. We’re committed to helping clients in Santa Cruz, San Ramon, San Jose and Los Gatos achieve better quality sleep and eliminate pain and discomfort. To find out how we can help you or your loved ones, call us at (408) 490-0182 or complete our convenient contact form.